Contact information: J. Lawton Booksellers
P.O. Box 392, Readville, Massachusetts, 02137, United States
James Lawton, Proprietor and former Rare Book Librarian and Bibliographer.
Business established 1981.Below is a list of standard condition descriptions used by book collectors and book sellers. They are, of course, used subjectively and one personís Very good can be anotherís Fine. We try to be conservative & also note any major flaws. We note dust jacket condition separately and only if present. We seldom note the absence of a dust jacket as many books were issued without dust jackets and the mistaken description of a missing non-existant dust jacket has often led to confusion.
Our Book grading:
D.J. or Dust Jacket also called Dust Wrapper (DW). We usually describe the DJ condition separately as follows:
- AS NEW - Unhandled; still in the publisher's shrink wrap
- FINE - Almost new. May show the merest traces of handling or use. Appearing to be unowned and unread. Note: A book with a remainder mark is not 'FINE'.
- VERY GOOD - Modest wear may show signs of previous ownership; Dust Jacket*, if present, may show faint blemishing (light scuffs, nicks, fading, few small edge tears)
- GOOD - Average wear, aging, fading & soiling. DJ*, if present, with chips and tears.
- FAIR - Used worn and/or soiled, but complete and usable.
- POOR - Not worth selling or buying, might have one or two reads left in it.
- Ex-library (Ex-lib) - has the usual library markings such as rubber or blind stamp on title page and/or edges, pockets at one end or the other, label on the spine, etc. This is used in combinition with the above grades.
- Fine - as good as you would find in a new book store.
- Very good - modest wear, no noticible blemishes, price not clipped.
- Good - average wear, some light fading or soiling, price may be clipped
- Chipped - 'good' but chipped around the edges
- Worn - noticible fading and or soiling, some chips and scratches
- Tattered - very worn, tears & some pieces gone.
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller ; preface by Anais Nin
Publisher: Paris, Obelisk Press, 1935. 2nd printing. 322p. Paperback Fine condition, in plain grey wrappers Fine copy of the rare second printing of Henry Miller's landmark novel that opened the way for the free speech we take for granted today
Terms of Sale:
STOCK: All items guaranteed to be as described. All books are hardcover unless otherwise described. Dust jackets are described if present.
TERMS: Payment with order. We accept MC*, Visa*, AmEx*, Discover*, PayPal and checks in US $ or UK £ when ordered directly or MC*, Visa*, & AmEx* when ordering through the shopping cart.. Institutions with purchase orders can be invoiced. We accept returns for any reason within 10 days of receipt. If the customer is returning the item(s) due to defects or inaccuracies in our description, we will pay for return postage. If the return is for other reasons, we will refund the purchase price only.. Mass. residents add 6.25% sale tax.
NOTE:On credit card orders we are now required to have billing address and V-code (Verification Code is a 3-4 digit non-embossed number found on the card signature panel on back or near embossed number on front.)
SHIPPING: (Quoted prices are for one average size volume; any change or postage for oversized or multi-volume orders will be quoted for your approval before the sale is processed)US POSTAGE: Priority mail (2-3 days): $6.00 for most books up to $15.00 for oversize items; OR, Media mail (2-5 weeks): $3.95 INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE: Air Mail - $24.00 - $42.00. (Any charge over $13.50 must be approved by customer before sale is processed.)