Literary Landmarks: Sarah Orne Jewett House
Writer Sarah Orne Jewett spent much of her life in this stately Georgian residence, owned by her family since 1819. The view from her desk in the second-floor hall surveys the town's major intersection and provided her with material for her books, such as The Country of the Pointed Firs, which describe the character of the Maine countryside and seacoast with accuracy and affection.
For more information click here: Jewett House,
or click here for
books by Sarah Orne Jewett.
Browse our stock in
or search your favorite topic
- Jacques Saly (1717-1776), French sculptor
- Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch (1808-1888), German founder of Torah im Derech Eretz school of contemporary Orthodox Judaism
- Jean Moulin (1899-1943), French resistance leader during World War II
- Magdalena Abakanowicz (b. 1930), Polish sculptor
- Tress MacNeille (b. 1951), American voice actress (The Simpsons)
- Nicole Kidman (b. 1967 in Honolulu, Hawaii), Australian actress (The Hours, Moulin Rouge, Eyes Wide Shut)